Disaster Recovery and Data Protection have become the most critical challenges when deploying tier-one applications on a virtual cloud infrastructure. But traditional business continuity technologies were designed to protect physical servers using storage based replication, not virtual machines, and don’t fully align to the flexibility and mobility benefits offered by virtual infrastructure.
FLEXReplication from Cologix is a simple yet powerful enterprise-class disaster recovery solution designed specifically for virtualized environments such as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware. The entire environment, including storage and applications, is automatically and in near real-time replicated to the Cologix cloud, and is available to you anytime via the click of a mouse. This allows you to keep an up-to-date copy of all of your virtualized data in the secure Cologix data center, and gives you the ability to recover all or a subset of it in minutes, as needed, on a self-service basis. FLEXReplication offers increased flexibility and boosts your ability to test recovery on-demand with a near-zero RTO without impacting your production environments. So you have more control over your disaster recovery plan and faster failover with automated failover and failback.
HOW FLEXREPLICATION WORKS
- A single, software-based Virtual Replication Appliance (VRA) is installed on each host, capable of protecting all the Virtual Machines (VMs) on that host.
- The Virtual Replication Manager (VRM), a Windows-based application, manages everything required for the replication between the Protected site (customer location) and the Recovery site (Cologix data center), except for the actual replication of data.
- The VRA continuously replicates data from VMs and VMDKs selected by the user, compressing it and sending it to the Recovery Site over a secure VPN connection.
- Replication is performed in a near-synchronous manner without relying on VMware snapshots or CBT mechanism, avoiding any negative impact on application performance.
- VRAs on different hosts communicate between themselves, synchronizing replication to ensure block-level consistency between different VMs on different hosts and storage arrays.
- Hypervisor-based replication is fully agnostic to storage source and destination, natively supporting all virtualization platform features including VMotion, storage VMotion, high availability clustering and more.
OTHER BENEFITS OF FLEXREPLICATION
- Self-service portal and API available to manage replicated VMs, including adding or deleting protected VMs, testing failover VMs, and viewing status.
- Virtual-aware recovery with ultra-fast recovery time objective (RTO) and recovery point objective (RPO) in seconds or minutes.
- The solution is storage vendor and protocol agnostic, so it can replicate from Hyper-V or VMware environment, regardless of whether you’re using an HP, Dell, EMC, NetApp or any other SAN – or even no SAN at all.
- Extremely simple and fast setup and integration with existing VMware and Hyper-V deployments.
- Automatic IP address changes of virtual machines, if required for automated failover.
The hypervisor-based remote replication technology utilized in FLEXReplication is different from any other disaster recovery technology.
FLEXReplication provides the granularity needed in today’s complex enterprise infrastructures, without compromising on performance, simplicity of operation, scalability, reporting, mobility or flexibility. Purpose-built for tier-one applications deployed on a virtual infrastructure, this technology combines near-continuous replication with block-level, application-consistent data protection across all hosts and storage devices.